Re: [News] Open Source Routers Maker Gets $7.5 Million Investment from JPMorgan Partners

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 17 September 2006 11:41 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Open Source Firm Vyatta Secures $7.5 Million In Series A Funding
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "Open source has the opportunity to make a large and lasting impact on
>>| the multibillion-dollar network products industry by bringing flexibility
>>| and choice to a market that has been closed and slow to change," said
>>| Kelly Herrell, CEO of Vyatta. "The phenomenal response to our Open
>>| Flexible Router has demonstrated that customers are hungry for an
>>| alternative and they are excited about the increased flexibility and
>>| cost savings that comes with an open solution."
>> `----
>>
>> http://in.sys-con.com/read/272817.htm
>

> Watch out Cisco, Juniper...

It's already happening.

University dumps Cisco VOIP for open-source Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| SHSU is in the process of moving its 6,000 students, faculty and staff off
| of Cisco CallManager IP PBXs and a legacy Nortel Meridian PBX over to Linux
| servers running Asterisk...
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1646405846;fp;4;fpid;78268965

It becomes clearer why Cisco is liaising with Microsoft. They share an enemy.

And Cisco is turning the another brigade of this oligopoly.

Why the world needs openness, not interoperability.

,----[ Quote ]
| This NAC/NAP lovefest would be laughable if it weren't such
| a kick-in-the-teeth to the rest of the industry, enterprise IT, and
| all Internet users. A Cisco/Microsoft oligopoly stalls implementation,
| stifles innovation, and makes the network less secure. In this way, Cisco
| and Microsoft are standing in the way of progress.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-11203_3-6112960.html?part=rss&tag=6112960&subj=news

They are fighting a losing battle; all they can do is earn time for their
bank accounts to be inflated further. I think we are yet to walk through
some enjoyable years of monopoly ass-kicking and a new industrial 'world
order'.

It's a good think that this won't happen overnight. A gradual progression
permits you to savour on it. SCO going titups is a recent milsetone. The
deface-by-self of Vista, the retirement of Bill Gates, the scaping of
Longhorn and Allchin's suggestion to scrape 60% of the Windows codebase are
other factors indicative of the competition's demise. On the other side:
OOo2, Firefox 2, Compiz/XGL, Kerala, etc.

It's a good time for Linux advocacy. Earlier I noticed that posting volume in
COLA has peaked to reach a 14-month high. The number of G2 subscribers has
gone up as well -- to 1300+. And it's evident that the Winvocates in this
group embrace the weaker side. Most would not even deny it. They came to
abuse and stayed around to learn.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz| You can never get nine women to deliver a baby in a month
roy      pts/6                         Sat Sep 16 10:51 - 10:51  (00:00)