Re: Report: Linux to Dominate Cellphones Market

  • Subject: Re: Report: Linux to Dominate Cellphones Market
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Sep 2006 16:10:00 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hadron Quark wrote:
> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> >> [BIASED NEWS] report, funded by open source firm Trolltech, who doesn't even
> >> have the balls to produce their own FUD.
> >
> > Where do you get that Trolltech funded it?
>
> You need a new OS or a pair of glasses :-;
>
> ,----
> | Forget Symbian! The "war of the OSes" in mobile phones looks rosy for
> | Linux and Windows, according to a detailed, insightful, freely available
> | whitepaper from ARCchart. Funded by Trolltech, the 27-page "independent"
> | report overviews the entire cellphone software market, offering in-depth
> | reviews of 15 software stacks.
> `----

Interesting how the article decided to "quote" the word "independent"
in the article.

<quote>
    Funded by Trolltech, the 27-page "independent" report overviews the
</quote>

Some of the posters here really need to find a consistent set of
standards. If a pro-MS report comes out it is automatically believed
that it is secretly MS-funded even if the
company doing the report declares it as being completely independent.
Somehow this doesn't matter because MS must have somehow secretly
funded the report (or threatened advertising money) so the outcome is
tainted and biased.

Meanwhile a report that is admittedly funded by Trolltech is somehow
believed to be 100% accurate, completely neutral and trustworthy.
Strange?

Anyhow... this having been said I'm inclined to believe the report.
Linux is a great fit for embedded devices and cell-phones are no
exception.