Re: Google search results being redirected to advertiser pages.

  • Subject: Re: Google search results being redirected to advertiser pages.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 21:49:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ John Bokma ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 21:45 \__

> "Dana" <raff242@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Recently, like yesterday my IE6 browser started to be redirected when
>> clicking on the search results from a google search.
>
> Example URL?

This sounds like it /could/ be a case malware. There were incidents last year
when users were redirected to a fake Google or always received pr0nographic
sites in search results. The sites were owned by some German network, IIRC,
which cashed in on AdSense.

>> You can see that after clicking on the google link returned from the
>> search that you begin to go to the correct page, but then the
>> redirection happens and you can see a new address appear on the bottom
>> of the browser and you are redirected to a site that is mostly
>> advertisements for something related to my search.
>
> Your browser might have been hijacked. Download the usual garbage removing
> tools, and run them. Next learn why it's unwise to work with Administrator
> rights all the time, it might help.

Oh, hasn't read that before replying to the bit at the top, so the disgnosis
appears to intersect. It might also be worth upgrading the Web browser by
switching to something less permissive and exposed. Opera seems like a good
candidate.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S