Re: YES TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:04:24 +0100

> __/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 19:42 \__
>
> > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:32:15 +0100
> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> __/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 15:38 \__

> >:) > >
> >>
> >> I can't help thinking about the Simpsons episode where Homer
> >automates > the clicking on prompts and leads to disaster at the
> >plant. Also > reminds me of Google's algorithms...
> >>
> >> http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
> >>
> >> That's how you implement -rf in the Bizzaro World.
> >
> > But it shows something that (95%) of the computer users have to do
> > on a regular basis, regular enough for a simpson's plot..
>
> If you are referring to cyclic maintenance tasks -- then yes. Virus
> scans, disk defragmentation, self-corrupting filesystems (scandisk),
> Registry clog/unclog.... and all the rest of that malarkey.

Well, partly. As you probably know, there's hardly any "Are you sure
you..." style dialogues in linux land. We all have more pressing things
to attend to than write UI's. (Besides pipes work so well).

> Last Tuesday I met my Supervisor. At the middle of the meeting his
> computer merely ground to a halt because the AV software decided to
> start off a full scan. The I/O operations made the O/S (Windows XP)
> highly unresponsive and, to make matters worse, he struggled to get
> around this. As usual, I bothered to tell him that Linux does not have
> these problems and a system lockup can be circumvented, as well as
> tasks be properly prioritised. He seems to have gained repspect for
> Linux. If he hadn't been bound to retire in a few a years, he possible
> would have upgraded by now. But he mainly corresponds and writes
> documents...

I think the IO performance issues are because read() in unix does not
lock, I have a feeling that most AV programs request and exclusive lock,
or it's just that it's traversing directories, which do have performance
issues on NTFS once there's a few files in there.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
just another unix hacker