Re: YES TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 19:42 \__

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:32:15 +0100
>
>> __/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 15:38 \__

>> > rm -rf
>>
>> I can't help thinking about the Simpsons episode where Homer automates
>> the clicking on prompts and leads to disaster at the plant. Also
>> reminds me of Google's algorithms...
>>
>> http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
>>
>> That's how you implement -rf in the Bizzaro World.
>
> But it shows something that (95%) of the computer users have to do on a
> regular basis, regular enough for a simpson's plot..

If you are referring to cyclic maintenance tasks -- then yes. Virus scans,
disk defragmentation, self-corrupting filesystems (scandisk), Registry
clog/unclog.... and all the rest of that malarkey.

Last Tuesday I met my Supervisor. At the middle of the meeting his computer
merely ground to a halt because the AV software decided to start off a full
scan. The I/O operations made the O/S (Windows XP) highly unresponsive and,
to make matters worse, he struggled to get around this. As usual, I bothered
to tell him that Linux does not have these problems and a system lockup can
be circumvented, as well as tasks be properly prioritised. He seems to have
gained repspect for Linux. If he hadn't been bound to retire in a few a
years, he possible would have upgraded by now. But he mainly corresponds and
writes documents...

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.