Re: Adobe Reader is a shitstick. Use xpdf.

__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 19:59 \__

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:48:43 +0100
>
>> I was going to mention kpdf as well. I use it 90% of the time. The
>> fonts and images are sometimes displayed as coarse in SUSE 8.1 (just
>> kpdf, not Acrobat Reader). Ubuntu 4, on the other hand, handles the
>> fonts and resolution just fine. As for functionality, if it's ever
>> needed, the secondary application/handler can be called. But Acrobat
>> is heavy, sluggish, bloated, and poorly integrated into the desktop
>> environment. I always recommend the use of kpdf, assuming it is
>> available. One nice feature that it makes possible is live previews of
>> PDF as icons (thumbnails). If made large enough, you needn't look at
>> filenames. You just see the first page in the file manager (Konqueror
>> in this case).
>
> I think it's konquerer here, not kpdf that does this. They both might
> use the same libraries for rendering though.

Yes, rendering is done by the same libraries, but the peripheral widgets
differ. Previews in KDE are a killer feature. I once wrote about it, so if
you have a minute to burn/spare:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/20/previews-on-desktop/

You can zoom in on that image. I tried to make it convey the 'usefulness' of
this feature.