Re: Adobe Reader is a shitstick. Use xpdf.

__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 20:49 \__

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:08:03 +0100
>
>> __/ [ ed ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 19:59 \__
>>
>> > I think it's konquerer here, not kpdf that does this. They both
>> > might use the same libraries for rendering though.
>>
>> Yes, rendering is done by the same libraries, but the peripheral
>> widgets differ. Previews in KDE are a killer feature. I once wrote
>> about it, so if you have a minute to burn/spare:
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/20/previews-on-desktop/
>>
>> You can zoom in on that image. I tried to make it convey the
>> 'usefulness' of this feature.
>
> I've not used KDE since the 90s, I can say that nautilus has the same
> icon preview style interface. But I don't use any file manager to speak
> of these days since I switched to XFCE a while ago, it loads so much
> faster and the mouse wheel over desktop background to change virtual
> desktops is a real time saver. Worth a look at if you've not tried it
> already.
>
> There's always gentoo - the file manager!

In KDE 3.4+, there's the option (tickbox) to have mouse wheel revolve between
virtual desktops. There's also KPager (with pixmaps and full drag-and-drop
support) for switching using mouseclicks, dock/panel pager, keyboard
accelerators that switch between desktops, and pushing with mouse cursor
thorough desktop borders. I must have forgotten a few other possibilities.
Never forget that KDE keeps evolving. It's worth revisiting every now and
then...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
roy      pts/6                         Sat Sep 16 10:51 - 10:51  (00:00)