Re: ~article~ Are you Google's gopher?

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Friday 15 September 2006 09:17 \__

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 05:37:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ Paul ] on Thursday 14 September 2006 17:44 \__
>>
>>> From : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5336284.stm
>>>
>>> Google has just taken on legions of new workers. None are being paid -
>>> and you might be one of them.
>>>
>>> Since workplace computers were hooked up to the internet, office
>>> workers have found more ways of wasting time at work, with e-mailed
>>> jokes or videos of apparently-amusing accidents.
>>>
>>> <snip />
>>
>>More recently, Google unveiled a servcies wherein people label images for
>>Google. Amazon has been doing something similar, but compensated people for
>>their time. Microsoft does the same thing when it encourages people to
>>serve as test dummies. Why would people help multi-billion corporations for
>>free?
>
> Because it's fun. Make sweeping the streets into a fun game instead of
> deadly boring and you'll have clean streets.
>
>>it's beyond me...
>>
>>Microsoft wants more Vista testers
>
> I finally got IE7 going yesterday, after a few snafus. The sites I've
> viewed so far through it seem ok, much to my chagrin. I was hoping for
> a coding frenzy :-(

I thought IE7 requires XP at the least. Aren't you using Windows 98 SE? Which
reminds me: please upgrade as there are no longer patches available. Your
machine is a menace that could pollute the Web (us included) with SPAM and
DDOS attacks. Refusing to do so is just irresponsible. YMMV. The most modern
Linux distributions would run gracefully on hardware which is Windows
98-compatible, in case you are willing to harness new skills with the
fastest growing platform.

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.