begin  oe_protect.scr
High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Mark Kent on Wednesday
>>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

>>> Wow, good numbers!  Linux has to be the natural choice for
>>> that, hasn't it?  Otherwise it'll be a very expensive
>>> budget PC.
>>
>> My computer cost me just 165 quid. And it would probably
>> sell for about 120 these days. It's overpowered for SUSE
>> with KDE, which is a shame. I could have saved me some
>> money... *grin*
>
> It uses a 64-bit MIPS processor.  I would be curious to see a
> special 64-bit implementation of Linux tailored to its
> instruction set run on it.  It may not be as slow as some think
> it is.
>
> 165 quid?  This unit then would sell for 68 quid.
>
> BTW, I downloaded the latest nVidia driver for my now ancient
> 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron system's MX440 4X AGP with 128 MB graphics
> memory.
>
> I tried out some of the Linux games requiring acceleration, one
> was a bang-bang shoot-em up flight simulator.  I haven't been
> accustom to such smoothness out of Windows XP or 98.  Command
> and Conquer Generals bogs down when unit counts increase and
> some of the graphics becomes jerky.  Mech Warrior 2 bogged down.
> The Linux game graphics were extremely smooth and video like.
>
> My observations are very similar to the PC ports of Linux games
> I ran on my AMD K2 450 Mhz system 7 years ago.
>
> I just downloaded Q-CAD Open Source and brl-CAD.  It will give
> me an opportunity to see how these now open source CAD systems
> compare with the proprietary.

I've not got a Windows machine to compare with, but comparing OSX
accelerated stuff with the linux machines I've got shows broadly similar
performance.  There's nothing to recommend either route in particular,
except that the linux machines cost about 10% of what the OSX machine
costs, certainly no more than 20% of that cost.  Also, the OSX machine
really needs an OS updated, but as they're expensive...

DeVries' Dilemma:
	If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you don't want
	hits the paper.