Re: [News] China Produces $125 Linux PC

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
<mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:41:52 -0400
<nv5pt3xqnb.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Mentioned again in the Inquirer.
>>
>> China to produce $125 PC
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A Chinese outfit is hoping to release a PC which will hit the shops with
>> | a price tag of $125.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34355
>
> In all honesty, I'm surprised this has taken so long. The Chinese are superb
> at cloneing most anything they can make a yen from...

Pedant Point: Yuan.  Yen is Japanese.

> And if these $125.00
> computers make their way to our shores... Wow! Linux will
> take over like a storm.

One would hope so. :-)

> This would make for yet another low cost, linux driven cluster
> solution.

Depends on how cheap the power supply is.  That would be a bit of
a worry IMO in a low-ender.  Linux is excellent but it can't perform
miracles. :-)

> Terrific.

We'll see how it pans out here.  I'll admit I don't know
precisely what the buying public will think, as many in the
US might be brainwashed into wanting Vista (some of them
wander into here on occasion :-) ), and there is the problem
of distribution -- who's going to carry and sell it?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.