Re: KDE Consumes Less RAM Than GNOME?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Desktop memory usage
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As for the actual results, well, too bad. In fact I had been hoping,
> | somewhat naively indeed, that such very stripped KDE would match Xfce like
> | it did with the startup time. But the size of KDE's libraries is hard tob
> | eat and with such stripped desktop there is not that much that'd take
> | advantage of it. GNOME's huge number seems to be caused by running way
> | too many processes - even panel applets are separate processes. This
> | will have even worse impact later.
> `----
>
> http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/
>
> Linux desktops run gracefully with little memory available, but how do
> different desktop environments compare?

Part of the attraction of KDE is that you can easily give up eye candy
for performance.  With all the bells and whistles enabled, it's more of
a memory pig than Windows desktop.  When just a few features are
disabled, it can be quite efficient, and when all of the eye candy is
turned off, it can be almost as lean and fast as twm.

That's the power of choice.