Re: [News] Returning the the Linux GPLv3 Debate

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 14:50 \__

http://news.com.com/2010-7344_3-6114507.html?part=rss&tag=6114507&subj=news

>>> I myself digress
>>> I don't like it, it goes too far
>>
>> I'm on the other side of the fence, as far as the principles against DRM
>> are concerned. I loathe the idea of making access to personal data
>> dependent on binary blobs. This may be fine a year or five years from now,
>> but access to data decades down the line imperilled. And I don't know if
>> companies like MS and Apple will still be around to support and
>> accommodate the need to unshackle data, which in itself is a laborious
>> process.
>
> We live in a world where it's a crime in some countries to even reverse
> engineer your own equipment, things which /you/ have bought (the US and
> France spring to mind); how can anything think that legislating /for/
> freedom is a bad thing?

Your freedom can only be restricted by the freedom to compete, the freedom to
impede, the freedom to innovate (and then file patents)...

Needless to mention, large corporation with vested interest and (usually
financial) backing for politician is far stronger than a constitution, a
hippie-looking guy from Massachusetts, or even some angry mob.

Best wishes,

Welcome to standards-compliant Web browsing. http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
Tasks: 138 total,   1 running, 136 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie