Re: [News] Returning the the Linux GPLv3 Debate

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 09:58 \__

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <2595273.z4aprzg5ZR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Which way, open-sourcers?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://news.com.com/2010-7344_3-6114507.html?part=rss&tag=6114507&subj=news
>>
>> This is one instance where I think Richard Stallman is right. I get this
>> feeling that Linus Torvalds doesn't really understand what the GPL is all
>> about, and that we're lucky he chose it for the Linux code in the first
>> place.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to GPLv3. I think it's looking good so far.
>
> I myself digress
> I don't like it, it goes too far

I'm on the other side of the fence, as far as the principles against DRM are
concerned. I loathe the idea of making access to personal data dependent on
binary blobs. This may be fine a year or five years from now, but access to
data decades down the line imperilled. And I don't know if companies like MS
and Apple will still be around to support and accommodate the need to
unshackle data, which in itself is a laborious process.