Re: [News] Criticise Microsoft and Be Sacked

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> IT Wrestles with Microsoft Monoculture Myopia
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Geer, a computer security guru with a doctorate in biostatistics from
> | Harvard University, lost his job as chief technology officer of
> | consulting company @Stake in 2003 after co-authoring a report that
> | blamed Microsoft's operating system monopoly and complex code base for
> | the frailty of the Internet.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The group cautioned that the only way to prevent "massive, cascading
> | failures" was to avoid the Windows monoculture.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Schneier, who did stints at the Department of Defense and Bell Labs,
> | said the monoculture risk exists beyond the desktop. "Windows has pushed
> | into mobile devices, into embedded systems, into noncomputer CPUs. The
> | threat of that cascading failure is even truer today," he said.
> `----

He only said what we have all said for years, MS are holding back the
Internet because of it's inherent weaknesses. I've said it a lot, so only
brief this time, the Internet is not what it should be and the reason it is
held back and distrusted is because MS did nothing at all about the
weaknesses of their software, we in Linux suffer from the weaknesses of MS
daily, so that other post today asking why we tend to be angry at MS, that
is why.

If we could have a UNIX/Linux only Internet, then they was also a NT/MS only
Internet. The MS one would have collapsed in a bloody heap by now, it was
only the strength of the UNIX systems that kept the Internet going in all
the Internet wars, NTs and home PCs were being knocked out all around the
net, those that servived only could do so by limiting their users.

I will never accept that it is necessary to limit users in order to be
secure, you can be secure And use your computer the way it was meant to be
used.

The UNIX/Linux only Internet could have by now been much further ahead by
now. We really could have had safe shopping, safe site browsing.

Many years ago there was mention, I think it was by AOL, of a kids onlt
Internet. It is very possible to have private Internets within the main
Internet, it's surprising that it isn't used more by Internet clubs and
groups.