Re: [News] MythTV - Easy Setup Television, Powered by GNU/Linux

Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You can buy a HDR now for as little as 200 euro.

I've yet to find a commercial unit with all the features one can cram
into a self-built unit.  Just the lack of broadcast flag / DRM support
is enough of a selling point for me.  I also like the fact that I can
mount my media server from my Mac Mini (or any other computer on the
network) export video I've been editing, and then view it on the main
TV along with the usual captured content.  I can also download content
from the Internet directly to my DVR.  I like that I can stream
video to other systems, or burn my content to DVDs, or rip DVDs to
the harddrive and watch them later, or play classic arcade games.
Just the other day I used the media server to rip content from a PAL
format DVD and re-burn it as an NTSC DVD (seems you can't buy DVDs
about cricket in NTSC format... who would have thunk it).

I have yet to find a commercial system that does all the things I want
from my media server, and the ones that come closest are inevitably
expensive enough that I may as well build my own.

Of course I haven't looked at the commercial market since I built my
own media beast... so perhaps something new has hit the market recently.
Still, I'm happy with what I have so I'm not about to go shopping for
something different.

Cheers,

Thad