Re: [News] RMS Interview on Kerala's Migration to Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] RMS Interview on Kerala's Migration to Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:09:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 11 September 2006 10:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Richard Stallman on Kerela's desktop Linux adoption
>>
>> ,----[ Noteworthy ]
>>| I am currently in France. Here some companies sell computers whose
>>| BIOS prevents installation of anything but Windows. Customers with a
>>| certain amount of expertise may be able to get another BIOS from branches
>>| of the same companies in other countries, but ordinary users won't know
>>| how to do that.
>>|
>>| Also, we are concerned that the new French law, like the DMCA but even
>>| nastier, might prohibit the replacement of the BIOS if Windows is deemed
>>| to be a form of Digital Restrictions Management.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7058002470.html
>
> France is never predictable, that's for sure!  The current French
> government is very right-wing.

You know, that's one of these places where technology that controls the
people is supported by the cabinet. Just imagine! Robbing the French...
taking away their freedom. I can hear a revolution coming. Have you had a
chance to see that video I posted the other day? Let me find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-EX9fSIcg

I hope that activists in France stick it to DRM once and for all. The
government made it an offence to backward engineer DRM, even if the purpose
is to access media you paid for.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 125 total,   2 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie