Re: [News] Switching to Open Computing Lifestyle, Step by Step

  • Subject: Re: [News] Switching to Open Computing Lifestyle, Step by Step
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:51:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:21:46 +0000, Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2006-09-10, Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:24:12 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:
>>
>>> Roy is an addict.
>>> He needs help.
>>>
>>> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/335
>>> http://cse.stanford.edu/classes/cs201/Projects/computer-addiction/when.html
>>>
>>> ...and about a zillion more.
>>
>> you're the one in need of help. What's it to you what Roy does? Can't take
>> a little bit of advocacy? Get lost.
>
> *SIGH* Let's go over this again.
>
> Roy posts advocacy. Whether anybody finds it useful in whole or part is
> beside the point. It upsets our trolls for several reasons. Mostly it's
> because their fradulent posts are harder to find.

I would like to see less emphasis on MS in the News posts, but that's my
only gripe. But what Roy puts into them is his business, since he's the
one producing  them.

> How many claims have been made about the posts "drowning out"
> everything else? Everything else continues, though, doesn't it? The
> Windummies have no trouble finding or starting threads to cause
> trouble. That alone proves this particular claim to be without merit.

I always laugh when they whine about this, since if they killfile the News
posts, they don't see them, so how can they drown anything out? And if
they're not killfiling, why are they whining?

> Next we hear that the loving and caring trolls are concerned that a new
> person happening by will think it's a newsfeed instead of an advocacy
> group and keep right on going. But they'd be hard-pressed to explain
> why new people using linux continue to manage to find their way here
> and participate. Plus, if they really believed that they'd be saying in
> essence that most people are dumber than they are. Sorry, I just don't
> buy it. If someone is investigating linux they're already several tens
> of points higher on the IQ scale than our beloved Windolts.

You'd think they'd be glad if new people just sailed on past COLA. Rather
makes you wonder, doesn't it?

> Then we're treated to the retard "retention" claim. That's so stupid
> that even bilge knows better. Some trolls don't think (could be full
> stop) anybody has enough sense to see through it, though.
>
> The fact is, the trolls want this to be /their/ playground. They pop
> off about a "lack of advocacy" here, something that they work to
> create, and then gripe when somebody does some they can't drown it out.
>
> The only drowning out they fear is their own FUD. Plain and simple. And
> it's happening enough that they can't stand it.
>
> Besides, Flattie needs somebody to respond, because that's how s/h/it
> gets paid. To that end s/h/it'll go on with whatever it takes to get
> people to post replies: pretending to like linux, slamming Roy, trying
> to play funny word games, arguing minor "points", nym-shifting,
> pretending to be in I/T(sic), claiming a lot of connections in the
> corporate world*, locating obscure problems to use in one of s/h/it's
> "linux isn't ready" posts, etc.
>
> * My guess is the only connections Flatfart has to the corporate world
>   are via the one(s) that pay s/h/it to post crap and the ones chasing
>   s/h/it down to recover property and collect past due bills. And maybe
>   a bank that holds s/h/it's paychecks until they clear if s/h/it
>   doesn't use one of those check cashing places that rip people off for
>   not being able to hold a bank account. Probably has a lot of
>   connections in government, too: the tax collector, judges, people
>   investigating welfare fraud, jailhouse guards, government-funded
>   shrinks and mental hospitals, etc.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I don't think anyone gets paid to do
this, not Roy, not flatfish, not Erik. After all, there are trolls in all
newsgroups, and many of them behave in a similar fashion to those who
infest COLA.

I suppose it's partly to do with the very nature of the internet, its
anonymity, and that just about anyone capable of using a mouse and
keyboard can participate. In real life, anyone expressing such views as
flatfish or others do would quickly be ejected from the vicinity,
arrrested, or punched. Here, there aren't any consequences so they're free
to be as big an arsehole as they like.

--
Kier