[News] The Beauty of Open Source: Tanzanians Create Own Firefox Version

Kiswahili web browser goes online

,----[ Quote ]
| The Department of Computer Science of the University of Dar es Salaam has
| developed a new Swahili web browser called JAMBO MOZILLA FIREFOX for public
| use.
|
| The Director of the Centre for Virtual Learning and Coordinator of
| Kilinux Research Project Dr Hashim Twaakyondo said the introduction of
| the service stems from the reality that more than 70 percent of
| Tanzanians are not fluently literate in English.
`----

http://www.ippmedia.com/ipp/guardian/2006/09/30/75450.html

I suppose that the main version does not (yet) have the required translation.
Language support in Linux is still a selling point in Asia, Africa and South
America. Notice the mentioning of Linux in the article, as well as the
Kilinux Research Project.
  ^^^^^