Re: [News] Screencast of SongBird 0.2 (OS, Cross-Platform 'iTunes')

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 20:49 \__

> On 2006-09-30, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
> something concerning:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGvEOHWCg4
>>
>> Some ambitiously call it the Firefox of media players. It's not yet
>> production-ready.
>
> I tried it:
>
>     -----------
>     | Devices |
>     ---------------------
>        | No Devices Yet |
>        ------------------
>
> I couldn't connect to the site for extensions or skins. The website
> help is non-existant. Neither is the help with the program. So I have
> no idea if there's a fix for the sound or not.
>
> Other than the preferences box looking like Firefox (it's an interface
> _copy_), I don't see any real resemblance with Firefox. But I didn't
> spend a lot of time on it either. What good is it if it can't see the
> soundcard that everything else sees?

Songbird is built upon Mozilla. It's some of the Winamp developers who
realised they should follow the source (,Luke) and go Open Source (and thus
cross-platform as well). The last time I checked SongBird, only FC5 binaries
were available. I could not compile from source under SUSE, but all in all,
it was openly stated that it was "Proof of Concept" (project/build codename)
at the time.

Returning to Winamp, some other prebundled 'program' seems to give their
userbase a hard time (not surprisingly so). The filetype wars have begun and
Windows remains a blood-shedding battleground -- for default applications,
viral prompts, adverts, forced installations, install one program and get
another 'for free', etc. It's one of these turfs where if one plays dirty
(usually the monopolist), other practice the same ethics. And the one who
loses is the user, of course. I wish to work on a proper platform, not a
battelground for market share and marketing (including links, adverts and
registration nags). Linux is divine.