Re: Gartner: Vista To Be Released in 6+ Months

After takin' a swig o' grog, B Gruff belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Saturday 30 September 2006 09:26 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> In some of the latest: Why Vista may be delayed until Easter
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39283444,00.htm
>
> Does anybody (else) see anything worrying in this statement:
>
> " Microsoft could also decide "that a single code base for everyone would
> better serve the market and allow business customers to deploy a single
> image, usable in most of the world", Gartner argues"
>
> (Hint:  Why did so many Irish suffer and die in the potato famines?)

Not to worry.  Micrsoft has already tried the "single code-base" route
before.

It cannot work for them.  Their system, though somewhat modular,
*apparently* is not modular enough to handle the broad spectrum of
application domains Microsoft wants to cover.

And even if I am wrong, and it is modular enough, marketing reasons are
enough to keep Microsoft from doing that, I think.   I think they need
to preserve the option of two or three consumer price points.

The risk is in pissing off consumers who are not used to choice, and
assume that the cheapest has all of the eye-candy of the most expensive.

We'll see.  Apparently we have to wait for the Easter Bunny first.

Hope he doesn't turn out to be a wino in a bunny suit.

--
   Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.