Re: Gartner: Vista To Be Released in 6+ Months

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Stephen Fairchild ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 10:01 \__
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> In some of the latest: Why Vista may be delayed until Easter
>>>
>>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39283444,00.htm

>> Whenever.  The longer they delay it the worse it will stack up
>> against Linux.  If they had known they were just putting lipstick
>> on the old pig they would have confined their work to explorer and
>> left the rest alone.
>>
>> Windows creeping unfeaturism edition will probably hit the shelves
>> in 2H 2007 but don't count on it.  Failing that it will hit the
>> users as a free service pack which just adds some aero glass eye
>> candy.  This is going to be so funny.  While Linux is busy adding
>> new features and user friendliness Vista is busy dropping features
>> in a bid to be fit for public release.

> You can get Aero without the associated bloat.
>
> http://skins3.wincustomize.com/Frogboy/screenshots/10977.jpg

That "ITunesSetup" icon looks suspiciously similar to the NewIcons
X-Arc Icon (from Amiga NewIcons, circa 1990). The Trashcan is nicked
from OSX, and that blue folder icon looks like KDE Crystal.

Hmmm, zero out of ten for originality, eh?

Oh and it's "StarDock Object Desktop" doing the magic ... at a cost of
*$50* ... that's the same as the cost of some commercial *Operating
Systems* (the non-free version of SuSE runs at about the same price,
for example).

Zero out of ten for value for money, as well then.

> It's Windows XP, by the way, and there are detailed guide that show
> you how to change the icons sets and various elements of the UI.

I'm sure StarDock will be overjoyed.

> But you know what they say...

Never waste money on commercial Slopware, when you can do the same for
Free with FOSS?

> Pigs will be pigs.

That too.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| L.A. town is falling down, while the ground moves around.
| We won't let it get us down; we're Californians!
`----
 - Animaniacs ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=XKcgTnfoM9Q )

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 12:55:39 up 104 days, 13:12,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.07