Re: Social Bookmarking?

  • Subject: Re: Social Bookmarking?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:44:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Hymer ] on Friday 29 September 2006 16:00 \__

>>>I am thinking about its effect on SERPS rather than just increasing
>>>traffic.
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>
>> It won't help SERPs as the rel="nofollow" prevents google PR from
>> being passed.
>>
>> But it can bring in more traffic, which can bring in sales. Search
>> engines are not the only way of being found.
>

> Thanks Paul. I don't think that will help me. I have a very specialized
> professional service. Most visitors are other professionals and I get good
> SERPs that way. Only a small percentage of visitors are looking for our
> services. Using del.icio.us might bring more visitors but they would be
> other professionals rather than potential clients.
>
> I have to keep my SERPs high by offering resources for professionals in the
> field so that the few potential clients can find us.

Be sure to see the ~/robots.txt in del.icio.us. Forget about SEO benefits
from such sites. They will devour your time, offer you nothing, and you will
quite possibly contaminate them and soon have your URL's/domain banned by
the site/s. Where there's temptation, there's often moderation/protection
that at least semi-automated. If you have good content, on the other hand,
you can try submitting at moderate amounts (as in once or twice) to sites
like Digg and Netscape.