Re: Windows Vista Review by Linux User

  • Subject: Re: Windows Vista Review by Linux User
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:27:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ pcutilisateur@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 29 September 2006 15:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Friday 29 September 2006 12:48 \__

>> > On my scale it registers -9999.
>>
>> bas3-toronto01-1177779921.dsl.bell.ca
>>
>> Opera on Windows. Seems suspicious, but I'm not entirely sure. Notice the
>> subject line. Should read "Windows Vista Review by Windows User with
>> proprietary Web browser and a neighbour of Scott Nuts (sic)".
>
> Understandable :) I like opera, it's very nice. It has text style
> features, meaning I can see website like I would on lynx :) Don't
> forget "firefox" is not very secure.  Infact IE7 is bit more secure.

Opera is a nice Web browser with fantastic support for Web standard. I have
had it installed for a long time but the only thing it lacks are hooks, as
well as a community that extends it infinitely. It's a shame really... they
ought to have open-sourced up the thing. It comes with a price, however, a
subset of which is explained in the next paragraph.

On the issue of security, Opera is closed source. The integrity of the
software and quality of the code, just as in the case with Internet
Explorer, will be grossly underestimated. Many critiques of Firefox emerged
when someone applied bug testing utilities to the bare, raw, code and
flagged some benign warnings as a possible vulnerabilities. I will not
involve other browsers in this discussions because it's irrelevant.

Firefox versus closed-source:

* True security versus false /sense/ of security.

* Self-explanatory code (making it maintainable, thus quick to patch) versus
code that is legible to its authors and masters.

* Among the other usual Open vs. closed arguments...

> Opera is superior to firefox -- and has more functions -- a la widgets,
> RSS, zoom, plugin turnoff.  None of them exists in Firefox, or IE7.

Widgets can be provided by another application unless they serve a
page-related function and add some valuable 'flash factor'. They are the
equivalent of having P2P extension for Firefox. Zooming can also be provided
at O/S- or desktop environment-level. It's nothing unprecedented. Lastly,
RSS function can be improved (read: become more complex) shall the user be
prepared for it and decide to install the most desirable plugins.

I believe that Firefox is often undervalued as it's often compared to its
rivals as a standalone 4.3 MB (Windows) download rather than the 'Full
Monty' it can immediately become (a few clicks here and there, then
restart).

> Finally, I am a Linux user. Windows Vista RC1 can be download for free
> from Microsoft site. I was very happy to try it, however, I still
> prefer linux. Which is what I am using 90% of the time - minus office
> time.

Sorry I showed doubts. If you follow this newsgroup you will find consent
over the fact that Vista is somewhat of a joke. It's a miserable attempt to
make Windows XP look like something new. It's achieved by tactlessly fitting
some thick layers (coat) of paint and adding some function that was never
the pillars had been promised (SOA, WinFS, and so forth). Longhorn was
scraped in September or October 2005 and 60% of the code still needs to be
thrown away and replaced. Not only is the codebase virtually impossible to
maintain (even by an army of thousands of developers), but it's now
inefficient and not backward compatible, either. But Microsoft doesn't want
you to know all of that... it just happens to have leaked and remains on a
small fire.

> PS: Following post was made using Opera  9.02, running on Debian.

Headers looking good! *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
Swap:  1036184k total,   300068k used,   736116k free,    70996k cached