Re: [News] Technical Update on the $100 Linux Laptop

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> One Laptop (per Child) Update
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In the One Laptop project we actually have two kernels. The first
> | kernel, found in the BIOS, is based on LinuxBIOS. The second is a
> | kernel that?s built from Red Hat?s sources, and aside from a few
> | patches and a different configuration, is a pretty standard OS
> | kernel.
> `----
>
> http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=222
>
> Interesting comments from Theo de Raadt...

LOL! "The Rat" strikes again ... and inserts foot into mouth.

----
| ######
| The Rat wrote:
|
| So while OpenBSD is increasingly reverse engineering more and more
| chips, and pressuring more and more vendors to get chipset
| documentation and firmware files released (ie. at least distribution
| rights), along comes Red Hat and MIT associated people, and they make
| AGREEMENTS with one of the last three secretive wireless chipset
| vendors! And now Marvell can become even more secretive, and wonât
| give us any information or a redistribution license for the firmware.
| Heck, Marvell wonât even talk to us now.
| ######
|
| ######
| blizzard wrote:
|
| The code for the driver for the Marvell chip is available under the
| GPL and can be found in our recent kernels. (Itâs not upstream yet.)
| We will have an agreement with Marvell that will allow for
| redistribution of the firmware.
| ######

K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| L.A. town is falling down, while the ground moves around.
| We won't let it get us down; we're Californians!
`----
 - Animaniacs ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=XKcgTnfoM9Q )

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 12:00:35 up 103 days, 12:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.05, 0.01