Re: Apple got it right, Microsoft got it wrong

  • Subject: Re: Apple got it right, Microsoft got it wrong
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:29:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 28 September 2006 00:58 \__

> On Thursday 28 September 2006 00:13 yttrx wrote:
>

>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=19
>>
>> Surprise, a bunch of apps that run on XP do not run on Vista RC1.
>>
>> When Apple was faced with this sort of conundrum, they simply invented
>> Yellowbox for backwards compatability.
>>
>> Three guesses what Microsoft will do.
>
> "It's the E.U.'s fault"!

*LOL*

Well, to be honest, I am more 'concerned' about what will happened to
backward compatibility when Vista received it's long-overdue 60% codebase
'makeover'. Backward compatibility must be just one among various reasons
for ever-going procrastination. Microsoft (Windows in particular) is
essentially trapped.

Remember: the beast is no longer maintenable and it is not secure. While no
considerable feature cannot be added (e.g. WinFS), security issues arise
very frequently and they are difficult to fix (due to the former factor).
This leads to flakiness, fixes that introduce the need for another fix,
which requires another...

I am extremely optimistic with regards to Linux. It's not only because Linux
makes huge strides every week, but also because Windows is becoming
increasingly messed up rather then be rejuvenated. How long can this go on?
The last straw has already broken many people's back. And word of mouth has
an exponential nature as it spreads. A colleague of mine is migrating to
Ubuntu Linux this day and this afternoon I found out that another has given
it a try. The perception has changed completely and it's seen as an
acceptable alternative, and more.