Re: [News] Free Software Foundation Addresses GPLv3 Misunderstandings and Misconceptions

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ George Ellison ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 03:26 \__

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
FSF Responds to Misunderstandings about GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| I am going to reproduce the FSF response to recent misunderstandings
| about GPLv3 in its entirety. I think you will be able to see how
| seriously the kernel developers' statement misunderstood what the GPLv3
| says and what it does.

Anybody else at this point just want to see the FSF and the kernel team
duke it out in a steel cage? It seems like the only way this is ever
going to get resolved.

There is also disagreement internally.

http://lwn.net/Articles/200656/

I really don't buy it from that link. Bruce Perens hasn't had an independent thought since about 1999 or so.

I have been reminded that GPLv3 means no TiVo, HD-DVD players, as well as
some phones. I begin to wonder if compliance with the awful trend is the
better way.

Ultimately, if they don't want you to hack it, you won't be able to. Whether it uses a free software operating system or not is irrelevant to that (if the kernel adopted v3, you'd see a lot more people going to VxWorks or one of the BSD's, and since when is keeping *our* hands clean some kind of noble goal?). At least this way, the devs get code back.