Re: Unfashionable Linux nerds

  • Subject: Re: Unfashionable Linux nerds
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:11:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
*LMAO* Great spin! I'll annotate further (it's hard as a third party though).

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 00:38 \__

> ROBOCOP wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> So tell me, what's your favourite Operating System?
>
>> Linux

What does Linux advocacy involve?

> Really? That's great. Me too.

What else do they say?

> So what

What will they always ask with a smug face?

> do you think of those guys that use Windows?

What will be the response?

>> nerds

You're quite right, you know.

> Aw, now that's not nice. I know they look a bit funny, but that's just
> the frustration of having to battle with Windows all day. I mean other
> than that, they're nearly the same as you.

Excuse me?

> I bet they even dress the same. What kind of clothes do you like? Are
> you into skater's gear; I hear that's really popular?

It's passe. You know what they say: monoculture is for those who...

>> know nothing about fashion.

Precisely. Be conventional, follow the old trend like sheep and voila! Before
you know it, everyone around just wears some drab-olive shirt and sings for
El Presidente ¢astro-Gate$.

> Oh come on now, you must know *something* about it. When was the last
> time you bought a pair of jeans?

I haven't worn jeans since my mid-teens. And I gave up on the pacifier when I
was about 2. When did /you/ give up the pacifier?

>> When I was in high-school
>
> Oh, so you bought a new pair this afternoon then?

I told you I haven't for almost a decade. But don't change the subject. Just
admit that Windows users suck (pun intended).

> So tell me, have you even *tried* talking to Windows users? What did you
> say?

I rarely see any of them. They're always in their dorm working on something.
Windows maintenance can really suck up one's leisure time.

>> we always laughed

At whom? yourselves?

> Now that's just evil. How would you like it if someone laughed at you.
> Maybe you should give these guys a chance. I mean, what do you really
> think of Windows users?

I told you. They are in 'bunker mode', always trying to catch up with
deadlines while that computer crashes at the worst of moments or the
critical patch doesn't come. For some strange reasons, Windows users get an
exemption every first Tuesday of the month. I feel as though I'm
discriminated against.

>> ugly nerds

Maybe it's just sympathy that gets them that special treatment.

> I told you, they just look like that because their faces a contorted in
> frustration, trying to get Windows to work, but that's no reason to hate
> them. For example, I bet they're just as clever as you; what kind of
> results were they getting in their school tests:

Some managed to keep the number of infections at 0, but it was a rarity.
These aren't the same guys who scored 800 in the SAT's though. Ballmer, for
example, despite his perfect score, struggled with malware for 2 entire
days. His efforts were futile and fruitless, too.

So tell me, how come I see more and more Linux users every day? Is it some
sort of evolution? A dying breed theory? How come I never see children whose
parents urge them to use Microsoft Windows?

>> could never score

What about the sperm bank? Oh, wait. They usually take donations from male,
so there's nothing to offer males.

> What? Absolute zero? I think you're exaggerating there a little bit;
> they must have scored something.

Scored or scooped? I think you have a little typo there.

> Oh well, so basically what you're saying is, that Windows users are
> stupid ugly nerds, and you guys were always miles ahead of them
> academically.

I'm not saying anything. But many started with Windows in the previous
decade. They picked up Linux when they realised Windows was a big-budget
movie with a story that goes nowhere.

> So tell me, how did they take it?

Easy-peesy. Just pat the CD on the tray. Click here and there. Let it roll
for 15 minutes and you're done. Not only do you get an operating system, but
you also enjoy a wealth of wonderful applications.

>> bad sports.

Why don't you try it yourself?

> Thought so.

Don't just think about it. Here's a CD. Give it a go and phone me if you have
any question.