Re: Reply inline in kmail?

__/ [ Mark ] on Monday 25 September 2006 23:48 \__

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:23:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> I don't want to suggest other applications as an alternative, but
>> instead I suggest that you persuade your colleagues to post in a way
>> that is rational.
>
> Thanks for your response Roy. I personally agree with your sentiment but
> to argue against the standard practice of the hundreds (thousands?) of
> people I correspond with is not going to happen. I have no choice. Since
> I use linux + kmail etc, they already think I am from another planet but
> to try and fundamentally change how all of them post their emails, well
> surely you can see the futility in that?
>
>> I don't want to get political, but the 'business environment' is
>> mistaken (unless English is read from the bottom to the top) and I
>> think you should post the Wikipedia link along with your message. This
>> will at least defend you.
>
> In short, the point is that each single email contains the full dialog
> history and so a newly subscribed recipient can always pick up the full
> context. There is at least some sense in that but let's not debate it
> here.
>
>> PS - honestly, I don't think KMail has this capability, but do have a
>> look at kde-file.org and see if there's a relevant extension for
>> KMail.
>
> Didn't find anything there (kde-files.org) when I searched for any kmail
> stuff.
>
> So it seems the answer is that kmail is not appropriate for business
> correspondence. :(
>
> It would be such a simple enhancement to kmail as it does allow me to do
> what I want, albeit in just a convoluted and awkward manner (using a
> forward inline). The only reason the function can be missing must surely
> be to do with some ideologically fundamentalist pursuit amongst the
> KDE/kmail developers? You won't find a more eager participant in
> Micro$oft bashing than myself, but I am still amazed at this attitude.
> The user is king isn't he?

I didn't wish to drag this into an ideological discussion. *smile* I hope
this did not upset you. If I recall correctly (I used KMail for over a year
before migrating to Thunderbird), KMail can put the pointer at the top or
the bottom (an option?), but I am not sure about quoting style. It may be
'incompatible' with Outlook (Express). I am not too fond of the term
'business environment' (and incompatibility). I think your colleagues should
give you the freedom, so long as the context of your messages remains clear.
I think you should* do what you perceive as correct. That's how I always do
it. People must learn to tolerate other people's habits, as flawed (or
correct) as they may be. I never complain about top-posting in E-mail, but I
am likely to complain about attachments that are in proprietary formats. I
don't complain about one liners that are 40KB in size either (due to a
'tail' or MS Office 'HTML' and so-called 'CSS'). Live and let live is
possibly the motto to go by. I used to be shy to PGP sign my messages, but
not anymore. It gets much easier after the first couple of time. The
recipients gets accustomed to it thereafter. You just need to be daring at
the start, suppress the inner self and then you are free (unless you receive
nags that you must squash, which is a rarity in my case). Stand for nothing
and you will fall for anything.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - I didn't leave KMail because of posting styles, but rather due to the
power of Thunderbird extensions. I also love a good theme (or themes). But
KMail is perfectly fine by all means.

*Well, I can't really advice; it's just not fair nor appropriate.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
Tasks: 148 total,   1 running, 144 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie