Re: Alternatives to Qt on KDE 3.5.x?

  • Subject: Re: Alternatives to Qt on KDE 3.5.x?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:28:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Amund ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 21:34 \__

> LauraLew wrote:
>
>> Hi, my team is starting work on a Linux application (our first) that
>> must run under KDE 3.5.4 and 3.5.5. We are currently being 'strongly
>> encouraged' to make all our work closed-source, but at the same time
>> have a really tight development budget, so it's looking like Qt is not
>> a viable option for us, licensing-wise- at least in this time frame.
>> We've done some research on GTK+, but keep hearing things about GTK+
>> apps not looking right under KDE.
>>
>> So anyway, here are my questions: Is it possible to provide full KDE
>> look/feel/functionality without using Qt? And if so, what
>> toolkits/libraries might we need to investigate to do that?
>>
>> Thank you for your advice!
>
> Isn't there a free version of Qt?
> http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php

GTK is lovely. I used 1.2 and a slight but of 2.0. With themes it would look
fantastic on a GNOME and KDE desktop, although the fonts and placements
might vary a slight bit (still looks polished nonetheless). I am not sure
about /free/, but Java with Swing would work if you work in Java. And I
would rather surprised if QT was not free, even for closed-source projects.
Some of the folks here build programs in QT and the code is only partially
Open Source. I don't think it violates licensing. QT Designer comes
preinstalled with various Linux distributions.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
Mem:    514480k total,   483468k used,    31012k free,    18664k buffers