Re: [News] In Defense of GPLv3

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Monday 25 September 2006 17:54 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Donn Miller ] on Monday 25 September 2006 17:35 \__

>>> In fact, I think Linus and the kernel developers would do well to draw
>>> up their own license, the Linux License, or some such, which puts forth
>>> a bunch of terms for what can and can't be done with the software.  Here
>>> we'd have a bunch of open source people contributing to their own
>>> license.  That would be good.  Something like the BSDL, except more
>>> restrictive like the GPL except perhaps less so would be a good way to
>>> go, IMO.
>>
>> *smile* No more licences! *smile*
>>

> Right. No GPL3. It is nonsense, it is not needed, and it will have bad
> effects.
> Additionally, even if you manage to have some apps under GPL3, this still
> does nothing to the kernel, which *will* stay on GPL2

I guess that Stallman /et al/ simply fear (well, at some level) being
rejected by their biggest adopter (and in some sense a GPL role model). Hurd
isn't going anywhere (yet), is it?

>> There's enough FUD going on /already/, which describes licensing as a maze
>> that deteres developers and enterprise adopters. HP has describes the
>> large number of licenses as a barrier. It's almost as though the licenses
>> are forked as often as the software, which in itself makes the seminal
>> licence a GPL'ed project with two many derivatives that follow.
>>

> Why then try to introduce a new one? Especially a controversial one like
> the GPL3?

True. I guess you identified the root of the problem. Licenses needn't be
modified unless a wave of new threats is rising (notably DRM in this case).