[News] Democracy Player (Linux) Beats iTunes, Argues Reviewer

Democracy Player: A Superior Multimedia Alternative to iTunes on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users have found their options limited, as iTunes is to this very
| day still not available on the Linux platform natively. Apple is foolish
| for ignoring this, but we believe that we have located a better
| alternative in the video podcast realm than what iTunes was offering
| anyway - Democracy Player.
|
| [...]
|
| Speaking for myself, iTunes is a great resource for music, but not so
| much for podcasts. DTV has a superior method of content handling, and
| overall, it's much simpler to use. DTV is available on all operating
| systems while iTunes opts to play favorites. The only component missing
| is that of independent music labels offering their music. Then again,
| this would not really be an IPTV tool if they were offering music, noww
| ould it.
|
| Still, it would be interesting to see additional music videos done
| exclusively by independents. It may be irrelevant, but then again, they
| used to say the same thing about the concept of Internet Television. And
| yet, it's here today on all three platforms...
`----

http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7564

For audio there's also AmaroK, Rhythmbox, Banshee (Mono), the cross-plaform
and Open Source Songbird, among many other players that are constantly
released and make use of existing code.