Re: Microsoft Tells Developers, Not Only Manufacturers, How to Build and Design

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Tells Developers, Not Only Manufacturers, How to Build and Design
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 23 Sep 2006 16:19:45 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Speaking of need for freedom...
>
> Will Zune begin instructing artists on how to compose their music?
>

> Microsoft Vista User Interface Guidelines Published
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Microsoft has published the preliminary Official User Interface
> | Guidelines for Windows Vista. Highlights include Top 12 Rules for the
> | Windows Vista User Experience ? and the use of screenshots from Windows XP
> | as examples of what not to do. The full guidelines are as yet incomplete,
> | but what is there makes for interesting reading."
> `----
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/23/0551208&from=rss

You really are dumber than a bag of rocks. What a freaking idiot. First
you think that Novell's legacy products are "Windows based" (ever hear
of Netware boy?) then you think that publishing style guidelines for a
consistent UI is somehow bad. Once you crawl out of your little dorm
room and join the real world perhaps you'll find yourself a clue.

Here is the equivalent guideline for KDE:
(KDE User Interface Guidelines)
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/index.html

Here is the equivalent guideline for Gnome:
(GNOME Human Interface Guidelines)
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/

Here IBM publishes it's CUA guidelines:
(Common User Access?A consistent and usable human-computer interface)
http://domino.watson.ibm.com/tchjr/journalindex.nsf/0/7521b9eb651768a185256bfa00685bf2?OpenDocument

Here's a free tip for you... quit your endless whining until you have a
clue as to how the real world works.