Re: problem with google earth

  • Subject: Re: problem with google earth
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:17:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 14:19 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> d0kt0r_$73v3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <d0kt0r_$73v3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> espoused:
>> The other day, while playing with my new Ubuntu distro, Google Earth froze
>> on me.  I could move the cursor, but not open or close any other windows.
>
> So there's something wrong with Google Earth.  This is a proprietary
> application developed by google, so why don't you tell them about it?

+1 650 330 0100

Bear in mind that for free applications, there's not much room for complaint,
unless it's malware.

>> It happened again tonight.   This time, I logged in from another host via
>> ssh, and tried to kill google from the command line.
>
> So the machine was still working, then, well, that's good.
>
>> The whole server shit
>> the bed,
>
> Why don't you put it on a table, then?

The desk might be better. Keep it away from food, you know? *smile*

>> and my connection was dropped.
>
> ssh in again, perhaps?

Run away to tty and killall -9 googleearth.

>> I've now been able to reproduce the issue:  It happens when I've already
>> got
>> Google Earth open, and I try to open a "kmz" file.   Instead of just
>> open another instance, causing some sort of conflict, resulting in the
>> host's unresponsiveness.
>
> So complain to google.

I think you're being quite harsh now.

>> I can't imagine why killing the processes result in a
>> system freeze, however.
>
> Do you know that it did?  What do the logs say?  Have you discussed with
> google, and, for that matter, ubuntu?
>
>> Interesting behavior, in any case.
>
> Proprietary applications are certainly prone to problems, that's for
> sure.

I haven't run Google Earth more than a couple of times although it's right
there on my desktop. Picasa likewise. I prefer Gwenview. It occurred to me
that these 'toy' applications lose their appeal as quickly as the "Google
released X" hype fades away. Similarly, when everyone has application X,
there's no longer excessive excitement. One returns to practicality and
judges by genuine a sense. No merit, no point. And contrariwise, merit bring
persistent use. that's what Linux is about: simplicity, speed, power,
reliability (no obscure system freeze) ,and no branded splash screens and
logos occupying your workspace (or mandatory sounds greeting you). Need a
help files? Found a bug? Seeking assistance from developers? Be sure that
help files will not contain promotional language. They will be helpful. The
user is in charge. The user is treated with respect, transcending financial
incentives of somebody else.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
Tasks: 147 total,   1 running, 144 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie