Re: [News] NVIDIA Linux Drivers - Beta Arrives

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 12:23 \__
>
>> NVIDIA 1.0-9XXX Series Preview
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | First off, NVIDIA's proprietary drivers in the upcoming 1.0-9XXX
>> | release should finally support the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
>> | extension. This extension is required in order to use AIGLX, which
>> | has been sought after by many Linux desktop users.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | The first release candidate for X.Org 7.2 is due out this October, but
>> | there has been no word yet from NVIDIA on their position for support.
>> | The next releases of Fedora and Ubuntu (Core 6 and Edgy Eft 6.10,
>> | respectively) will use X.Org 7.1 while OpenSuSE/SuSE looks like it
>> | will be the first major distribution to ship with X.Org 7.2. If X.Org
>> | 7.2 ends up breaking the API/ABI, it is not known when NVIDIA intend
>> | to deliver a supportive driver.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=551&num=2
>
> Update:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=552&num=1
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Two days after delivering our NVIDIA 1.0-9XXX Series Preview, NVIDIA
>| has shocked the alternative OS community by not only delivering a Beta
>| candidate for the Linux display drivers but also for Solaris and FreeBSD!
> `----

Umm, interesting.  Did FreeBSD have accelerated drivers before this?
I've not followed this.  I used to have some interest in the BSDs, but
then we get the like's of yttrx and his gutter mouth, and it rather puts
one off.

Schshschshchsch.
		-- The Gorn, "Arena", stardate 3046.2