Re: [News] Sony Playstati*nix 3 Price Reduced by 20%+

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 22 September 2006 17:22 \__

> "B Gruff" <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Friday 22 September 2006 16:35 AZ Nomad wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:46:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz

>>> Has anybody ever run anything but the PS3 supervisor/games on it?
>>> They may have a linux kernel at the core, but if you can't run anything
>>> on
>>> it then it's a moot point.
>>
>> Indeed - you just beat me to it:-)
>>
>> Does anybody actually have any data or a spec on this (the PS3)?
>> Do we know what it *will* do wrt Linux?
>> Can one really use it as a PC, in addition to gaming?
>
>     The English translation of Kawanishi's statement is "Because we have
> plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux
> programming activities... Other than game studios tied to official
> developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in
> content creation for the PS3."
>
>     So Linux will be "on board", but it's not clear whether they mean:
>     (*) just the kernel
>     (*) KDE and the hundreds of applications you'd find with a typical
> distribution
>     (*) something in between.
>
>     One of the examples Sony gave of things you could do OTHER than play
>     PS3
> games included watching movie, listening to music, and surfing the web. The
> first two are pretty standard for CD/DVD based consoles, but the last is
> pretty new (the Nintendo DS had a cartridge with Opera on it though). But
> again, it's not clear whether you would have to use a proprietary closed
> source browser written by Sony, be forced to use a browser Sony chose (e.g.
> FireFox, Opera, etc.), or have the freedom to install any browser you
> wanted.

What's worth adding is that the PS3 comes with a large hard-drive and, as
suggested by Kawanishi, it's homebrew-friendly. If it doesn't come in an
open(ish) form 'out of the box', sites will exist that provide some
download/s and instructions for PS3
extension/modification/enhancement/hacks. The Nintendo Wii, by the way,
comes with applications as well. It'll have an IM client called IIM (Wii
upside-down).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://en.opensuse.org >
  5:20pm  up 64 days  5:32,  9 users,  load average: 1.62, 0.97, 0.74