Re: [News] Sony Playstati*nix 3 Price Reduced by 20%+

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 22 September 2006 17:10 \__

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060922:MTFH25783_2006-09-22_03-17-23_T229782&type=comktNews&rpc=44

>     This is good, but not great news, for consumers. First of all, this is
> price cut for the basic system, not the premium system (the most notable
> difference being lack of Wifi support). Second, this is for Japan, and
> perhaps other countries won't see a similar price cut. And finally, 49'980
> yen is still twice the price of a Wii, without being twice the fun. That
> said, 20% is indeed quite a hefty chunk, and might sway some of the fence
> sitters.

I wonder if the approaching release of Nintendo units (December, at least in
Japan), joint with a significant delay from Sony (March 2007), just changes
the battleground and requires regrouping for a new business strategy.
Whatever is the case, the customer wins. Unless, of course, the price of
games is elevated (e.g. programmers' and studios' expenses rise).

>> Linux gaming becomes more affordable. The PS3 may also be a fully-featured
>> Linux PC, claims Sony. With fast polygon redering, Compiz/XGL/AIGLX seems
>> probable as an inclusion.
>
>     The PS3 is going to be using their proprietary "Cross Bar" application
> as the UI. The Cross Bar is the same UI used in the PSP, so I think Sony
> will stick with it for marketting reasons, even if XGL were easy to add-on
> from a technical perspective. So I doubt Sony will "include" XGL in the
> PS3, though probably some third party will eventually port XGL to the PS3.
> The PS3 does seem to implement (some variant of?) OpenGL ("PSGL", they call
> it), which XGL is built upon.

Yes, that's what I've been thinking myself. At least there will be some
choice out there. provided that the PS3 does not get a (to use a metaphor)
chastity belt, it'll attract technology enthusiasts and bring more content
to the platform. Palm used to gain from the same type of approach which led
to a saturation of freeware.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
Mem:    514480k total,   482316k used,    32164k free,     7464k buffers