Re: Userful and Ubuntu Make Desktop Linux Even More Cost-Effective

__/ [ Freeride ] on Friday 22 September 2006 03:09 \__

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:01:29 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ ray ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 16:53 \__

>>> Interesting. Our local library has a four seat DiscoverStation from
>>> Userful - it uses RHEL.
>>
>> The part of the story which I found the most intersting is this:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubuntu with Userful's 'Multiplier' offers dramatic hardware and
>> | software savings, literally offering organizations ten Linux
>> | workstations for what they would otherwise spend on just a single
>> | Windows computer with commercial office and graphics software.
>> `----
>>
>> Get 10 Linux boxes for the price of just a single Windows box.
>
> Then spend a fraction of the cost of supporting Windows, supporting them!

Aye.

I couldn't help feeling this way when I read a Vista DIY guide last week. The
machine cost $2250, if I recall correctly, which is roughly 10 times the
cost of my Linux box, SUSE included (bundled). And it hasn't given me any
real hassle in over a year, Uptime of 150+ days at one stage...

I only pressed the power button twice. First time when I bought it and the
second time when I moved between apartments (last month). It could use some
dusting...