Re: Userful and Ubuntu Make Desktop Linux Even More Cost-Effective

Roy Schestowitz came up with this when he headbutted the keyboard a moment
ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> __/ [ Freeride ] on Friday 22 September 2006 03:09 \__
>
>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:01:29 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ ray ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 16:53 \__

>>> The part of the story which I found the most intersting is this:
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> Get 10 Linux boxes for the price of just a single Windows box.
>>
>> Then spend a fraction of the cost of supporting Windows, supporting them!
>
> Aye.

I'm not a programmer. I'm not a contract admin. I'm a hardware man. Yet, I
*can* and *do* configure and maintain Linux boxes for such diverse
applications as supercomputer clusters, print servers, DAW/DVW, PVR/home
entertainment, home automation, file servers/NAS, web servers, even desktop
PCs and portables. It ain't rocket science. It's certainly not expensive.
Not even time consuming, unlike a certain other OS which shall remain
nameless to protect the innocent*.

*Henceforth, Microsoft XP shall now be referred to as "OS/2".

> I couldn't help feeling this way when I read a Vista DIY guide last week.
The
> machine cost $2250,

Frickin' OUCH! I could buy components for, and build and configure, TEN
decent Athlon XP (read: 2800+ processors, 256 RAM, 80GB PATA, DVD/CDRW)
Linux desktop systems for that! Or a TWENTY node cluster!

> if I recall correctly, which is roughly 10 times the
> cost of my Linux box, SUSE included (bundled). And it hasn't given me any
> real hassle in over a year, Uptime of 150+ days at one stage...

Nice uptime. My webserver has now been up for 146 days, running SuSE.

> I only pressed the power button twice. First time when I bought it and the
> second time when I moved between apartments (last month). It could use
some
> dusting...

My laptop gets powered off when I need to relocate. I've seen enough of
those stories to not want to take the chance that it isn't just Sony
batteries that're exploding.

--
-*-Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,
    but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.