Re: A Letter Welcoming Windows Users to a Linux World

  • Subject: Re: A Letter Welcoming Windows Users to a Linux World
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:10:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
__/ [ Mike ] on Monday 18 September 2006 00:03 \__

> "7" <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Mike wrote:
>>

>>> "7" <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> ways

>>> If it offers the same experience why switch?
>>
>> The service and maintainability experience is better.
>> Also running costs, the technology, licensing issues
>> and update situation is a lot better.
>>
>>> Why should any experienced Windows user who is satisfied with Windows
>>> switch to Linnux?
>>
>> Because competitors are switching for the lower cost TCO and
>> the greater speed and power of Linux applications running under the hood.
>> The user experience is the same, but the admin experiences
>> are much better, and server experiences are a way off the scale.
>>
>>> Why go through all of the headaches to learn another OS, search for
>>> drivers,
>>> configure the software, etc.
>>
>> If you believe in fairy tales and insulated environments like
>> the one you describe, then stick with wherever comforts you.
>> You may find the real world is different.
>> You are forced to lean new tricks every time a new package
>> is istalled. And these things cannot be dismissed.
>> Switching to Linux is no more different nowadays than having to
>> learn another package.
>>

>>>    This reminds of the old Windows versus OS2
>>> argument
>>> "OS2 is so much more stable, faster, more secure, gives better sex,
>>> supports world peace, etc.    Know anybody running OS2 these days?
>>> Last time I looked (a few years ago) Linnux wasn't ready for time.
>>
>> Over last few months ago, just about everything has changed. Improved
>> Linux
>> distros, companies offering support for software and hardware,
>> Virtualization, liveCds, ssh, FUSE filesystem, and also
>> the availability of Open Office has freed
>> users altogether from having to hold out for windope only solutions.
>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>
> What happend to Red Hat?  What happened to the fragmentation among
> distributors rewriting the Kernel?
>
> Where is a recent credible study showing the cost savings switching to
> Linnux for a large Enterprise? You talk about how wonderful it is.
> Tell me some of the real world headaches and problems

__/ [ Mike ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 03:35 \__

> No takers on this one?

I'll try.

Red Hat probably maintains a list of modifications, which it can even apply
using cvs-merge-type commands to kernel releases that are 'inherited' from
OSDL. Then, this needs testing. Different needs require a different type of
kernel and that's why "genetic" kernels -- ones that adapt dynamically --
are sought as a replacement to static ones that are optimised for a partical
task, e.g. real-time O/S, low resource consumption. Even Google has a
stripped-down Red Hat kernel, which in itself is being modified after the
original gets released from the main branch (Linus Torvalds and Andrew
Morton with the less reliable albeit cutting-edge mm branch). the kernels
maintained are available for all to re-use and be inspired by. But the
forking often makes this laborious. Important changes will be applies to the
main branch, whereas more minor 'tweaks' will be championed by distributers.

There are many TCO studies, some of which are free to access and read. I can
recall one from IBM (last year) which suggested that Linux cuts down the
costs by 45% compared Windows. Don't take my word for it as I don't recall
for sure. If you are not interested in distributers that are
expansive/greedy (e.g. Red Hat), there's Cent OS and Debian, for which there
is now support from HP (among many others).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
Tasks: 128 total,   2 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie