Re: [News] City of Munich Releases Own (Custom-made) Linux Distribution, Moves to Linux Desktops

  • Subject: Re: [News] City of Munich Releases Own (Custom-made) Linux Distribution, Moves to Linux Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:35:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 15:05 \__

> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 20:14 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Yes! we released 1.0!
>
> Just over a year ago, I noted that at least one (very) well-known U.S.
> University had its own distro.  I was impressed.
> I hadn't realised that Much was "doing a distro"!
> I perhaps should not be surprised though ...... Brazil you say?  China?
> South Africa?....... it's whole bluddy countries!

'Tailoring' a distribution these days is easy. You can even do this using a
Web form, by selecting packages that you require and then downloading an
ISO. The days of compiling kernels are long over and the advantage of
customising and optimising a distribution to suit your needs is truly here
to be witnessed. It's all down to marketing, selecting the right packages,
updating them, ensuring no conflicts remain afloat, etc. That's why
companies with many developers crunch the bugs most effectively and commit
changes back to the pertinent projects, from which everyone gains. I love
it!

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation