Re: [News] City of Munich Releases Own (Custom-made) Linux Distribution, Moves to Linux Desktops

  • Subject: Re: [News] City of Munich Releases Own (Custom-made) Linux Distribution, Moves to Linux Desktops
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:39:58 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:egQJ/WBiZWc67E0UYQGdyDWLbdE=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes! we released 1.0!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Background:
> |
> | Under the LiMux project, which commenced in 2004, Munich is migrating
> | 14,000 desktops from Windows to a custom Linux distribution running
> | mostly open-source software. The project's prototype client operating
> | system was presented to the public at the end of May.
> `----
>
> http://www.marsmenschen.com/blog/2006/09/20/11/

The mind boggles.

,----
| After almost two years of development and quality assurance, we finally
| did freeze version 1.0 of our custom debian-based distribution
| yesterday.
`----

Two years to make their own "custom distro"????? Version 1.

Not own SW you will note : ** own distro **

And I'll bet its no more than some server based sources.list with
radical restrictions on installing sw.

Have a look at the slideshow : it's comical.

Head will role : watch this space.

--
"On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
- everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS."