Re: [Roy Schestowitz optimistic] MOST Corporate Windows Desktops are Malware-Riddled (was: [News] MOST Corporate Windows Desktops are Malware-Riddled)

  • Subject: Re: [Roy Schestowitz optimistic] MOST Corporate Windows Desktops are Malware-Riddled (was: [News] MOST Corporate Windows Desktops are Malware-Riddled)
  • From: Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:57:43 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Op Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:20:46 -0500, schreef Erik Funkenbusch:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:17:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> But Microsoft, much like our resident Winvocates and apologists, says that
>> only 2% of the Windows PC's out there are found to have malware, according
>> to some tools. Speaking of lies and bias, Microsoft also claimed a failure
>> rate of 5% for the XBox 360. EA put the bar at 30-50%, based on a sample of
>> ~500.
>
> That's not what Microsoft said, and you know it.
>
> The figure you're talking about is WGA false positives.  Nowhere has
> Microsoft said 2% for spyware.

You're absolutely right. Microsoft came up with a rather lower estimate:
0.32%.

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=viruses__worms_and_security_holes&articleId=9001109&taxonomyId=85

I guess it's just an common, innocent error: they got the result as a
simple ratio, but mistakenly presented it as a percentage. Happens all the
time. Just look at Enron, for instance.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/