Re: [News] NASA Encourages Young People to Write Open Source Software

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 10 April 2007 12:50 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> Young Scientists Design Open-Source Program at NASA
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "NASA is recognizing the value of free and open-source software in
>> | other sectors," said Cowan-Sharp, a contractor at NASA Ames in
>> | Mountain View, California. "CosmosCode is going one step further
>> | by allowing NASA scientists to begin a software project in the
>> | public domain, leveraging the true value of open-source software
>> | by creating an active community of volunteers."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2007/04/cosmoscode_0409
>
> Except that the idiots at NASA haven't completely returned to the
> carefree days of Cosmic Software:
>
>    http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html
>
> Windows only, requires .NET runtime and DirectX.

There will be a Linux version soon (version 1.5). It is Open Source and
it can already run with Mono (Miguel de Icaza demonsrated this). I just hope
they will keep it Mono-free. They could use Wine maybe...

NA$A could use some more money, but intelligent design curricula seem to take
much of it away. Time to choose Free software (Darwinian), not just 'Open
Source' (with the DirectX and .Net trap... like the Java Trap RMS used to
refer to).

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   6 zombie