[News] Mozilla Shows That Open Source Software Offers More Function

Firefox captures users with its add-on tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Thousands of add-on tools are available for Firefox, essentially
| allowing you to customize your browser with features tailored for
| specific tasks, such as reviewing maps or posting to Weblogs.
| These mini-programs make Firefox even more handy and fun to
| use than it already is.
`----

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/hoffman/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1176007039185030.xml&coll=1

Mozilla: Why Desktop E-Mail Crucifies the Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| We're excited about the creative extensions our community is going to
| be able to develop with Thunderbird 2. We've really seen an explosive
| growth of people and companies building add-ons for Thunderbird, so
| we've tried to make it easier for those developers by improving the
| add-on framework.
`----

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/04/thunderbirdqa_0409

It's all about the developers. And they need the source code, or at least
open APIS. That's where proprietary software fails, just like DRM.