Re: [News] Apache Open Source Server Still Gaining [not!]

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 13:44:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>April 2007 Web Server Survey
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| In the April 2007 survey we received responses from 113,658,468 sites,
>| an increase of 3.2 million sites from last month's survey. Apache
>| continues to be the most widely-used web server, powering more than
>| 66.9 million sites, compared to 35.3 million sites using Microsoft
>| server software.
>`----
>
>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/04/02/april_2007_web_server_survey.html
>

>Related:
>
>Open Source Fights Back
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| Question: The OpenSourceParking.com announcement cites a Netcraft
>| report, which found that GoDaddy.com's migration from Linux to Windows
>| caused Apache to lose server share. Was this event the sole impetus
>| for OpenSourceParking.com?
>|
>| Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
>| Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
>| using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
>| solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
>| technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
>| GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
>| many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
>| release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
>| offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
>| domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
>| registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
>| other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
>`----
>
>http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108

Yes, most parked sites are hosted on Apache, that's no secret.

On the *active* sites front, IIS is gained over Apache in the last
month:

Apache  -0.08%
Microsoft  0.46%

That's 751'102 new active IIS (and presumably .NET) server apps in
March, while Apache regressed only a tiny bit: new stuff is built on
the Microsoft platform.