Re: [News] Company Dumps .NET Software, Finds Happiness in Open Source

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
> Open source SplendidCRM a sweet alternative for ".Net-centric" SAAS
> provider
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Now that he's gained some practical experience with an open source
> | application, Schepis says he'd use it again. "So long as there's
> | existing knowledge, or an easy way to get up to speed, there's no
> | difference between using open source and commercial. Actually, there's
> | an additional benefit, because you have access to the source and
> | the licensing fees are much lower. Just make sure you set your
> | expectations in line with the experience level of the people who
> | are going to implement it for you."
> `----
>
> http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/22363
>

> Also new:
>
> .NET will be the downfall of Microsoft Windows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This seems minor. But the effect is mathematical. Lets say a .NET
> | version takes 5 seconds longer to load. If you have 20 .NET processes
> | finish than the equivalent processes under Mac OS X. This means from
> | this point on Windows will always be at a competitive speed and
> | memory disadvantage when compared to OS X, or even Linux.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | I bet if I loaded Linux on this thing I would find the exact same to
> | be true. So you see. It has already started. Little ole me - Microsoft
> | fan boy - switched simply because the pain of Windows churn (.NET
> | induced I theorize) was so great it forced me to something else.
> | That pain will cost Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/04/net-will-be-downfall-of-microsoft.html

Since when is Cocoa a 'language'? Cocoa is simply the native Objective-C API
of Mac OS X. And Objective-C is quite hard to learn, and I'm talking as an
experienced C++ programmer here. That aside, there's no contest between .NET
and native code, the latter is 20 times faster and hundreds of times faster
to startup.