Re: As Time Goes By, Far Fewer People Want Windows Vista

On 2007-04-05, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

>> We can all tell you are trying to attract new Linux users and thats fine.
>> But when you refer to use as "fuckin Wintards" you're not exactly gaining
>> any respect.
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>> Scottish....and proud of it
>
> Mike---I don't see how Roy is lying in his post.  According to the
> poll, the percentage of people who plan to upgrade to Vista has fallen
> by about 40% since December.  Certainly many of them eventually will
> upgrade to Vista, but it's also true that there are potential Linux
> converts up for grabs.  I don't see that Roy said anything
> unreasonable.  Roy's posts are certainly slanted, and sometimes are
> open to criticism.   But he doesn't make this stuff up, and I don't
> see how you could make an objective evaluation of Microsoft and their
> products without taking this kind of material into account.  You'd
> want to look at other souces, too, of course, but there are plenty of
> those, many of them funded by Microsoft.

http://boards.myway.com/jsp/topicview.jsp?va=1&tid=2222960

   stringbreakerii

	RE: Firefox vulnerability!	04/05/07  04:12am

   Well I've had 2 updates in the last few days ,got a DSL modem coming
   from another ISP in a few days then I'm going to try to get the
   Linux system I have to work,then Billybob can kiss my royal butt!!!

Some other posts on the same board have been from a guy who is working
with Puppy, a guy using Mepis and another guy using Ubuntu. And there's
another who's using linux for his own purposes, but his bread and
butter in Windows support, so he has a machine for both. None of those
people even considered linux a year ago. All of them either don't see
much future in Windows or MSFT, or they want to break the shackles for
other reasons.

I see and hear many such things as above every week. Some in stronger
terms. A couple of people get this look of fear in their eyes
(irrational, yes, but they look that way nonetheless).

Unlike the guy above, many of these people haven't decided what they
want to do about it yet. But some have entertained the thought of
*trying* linux.

So, I'd say my own experience would indicate there may be some truth to
the subject line (and poll), as well as truth to the conclusion that
some of these people are up for grabs and might be willing to give
linux a go.

> Personally I was prepared to believe that Vista would be a big
> improvement over XP, in security, features, and user experience...

I was *prepared* to believe it. Absent any evidence, I never fell for
it. Evidence poured in for a long time leading up to it that the
contrary was going to be the likely truth.

--
The Microsoft motto: We're the leaders....wait for us!