Re: [News] Hardocp.com Tests Vista for a Month, Says It's a Lemon

  • Subject: Re: [News] Hardocp.com Tests Vista for a Month, Says It's a Lemon
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 03:28:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> 30 Days with Windows Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Comparisons, conjecture, and controversy. Microsoft's new operating
> | system is here, but is it ready for primetime? We spend 30 days
> | with Windows Vista to see if it's worth the leap or if Microsoft
> | should go back to the drawing board.
> `----
>
> http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMxOCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
>
> This is an influenctial site, which is filled with Windows people (hardcore
> gamers). It previously recommended GNU/Linux.

I've been a [H]ardOCP fan for years (hence the nick) and they are
usually bang-on with their assertions - they don't pull any punches.

It also seems to be an ever growing trend, that modders, overclockers,
and hardcore gamers seem to favour Linux in terms of robustness,
security, speed, etc., if not the actual availability of games. Many of
them favour Linux for burn-ins and benchmarks, for example. It was
through my association with that community that I discovered (to my
great surprise) that very often /Windows/ games will run *faster* and
more reliably under API emulation on Linux, than natively. How ironic.

Of course there's no great revelation here; [H]ardOCP are just
confirming what everyone already knew, that Vista is just WinME all over
again, only even worse.

This is just another genre of computer users slowly turning from the
Dark Side, along with schools, governments, front-office businesses, and
ordinary Joes. Thanks to Microsoft's OEM scam, it will still be a while
before Linux reaches anything near parity with Windows (out-of-box)
deployment (although I'd argue that the after-market deployment is
likely much bigger than many people believe possible). However Linux has
(IMHO) far exceeded the tipping point in terms of mind-share.

We are at a crucial stage now; one nudge at the right point might be all
it takes to push Windows and Office out of the light, and we have
Microsoft themselves to thank for that opportunity.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2307.fc5
 03:26:43 up  6:22,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00