Re: Apple Conquers Rome - Photos & Video

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
1989909.KpeVxWfRKm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 4/1/07 9:33 PM:

>> yes, but that insistence has proven a huge competitive advantage. the
>> huge flock of geeks in that top photo shows people really want Apple
>> products. you never see that behavior for windows or linux since the
>> quality just isn't there
>
> I beg to differ. I occasionally read about hardware problems with Macs, which
> are only made worse by poor (e.g. unresponsive and slow) support. When
> components and support are a monopoly, it is natural to expect them to be
> poor.

Apple can hardly be said to be a monopoly... either real or effective.

> I can think of one guy whose blog I read. Two new MacBooks of his went
> titups just months apart and support was abysmal, which led to ranting in
> public. I sometimes read about software issues as well, but that's another
> problem. A few months ago, a guy whose Apple laptop I needed to help with
> had a severe monitor issue that lasted for a long time. Support just wasn't
> quick enough. Limiting oneself to a single company is risky. No competition,
> no service.

Any company with millions of users will have those who are not happy - and
sometimes for cause.  I certainly have had problems with Apple myself and
would like to see improvement... but look at the stats.  What other computer
companies consistently have as high of customer satisfaction ratings as does
Apple?

> Sorry if I have drifted off topic, but the main issue here is opening one's
> door to other OEMs and sharing the burden/channels. Michael Dell asked Steve
> Jobs if he would make his new x86 OS X available for Dell PCs. Jobs
> declined.

A wise move on Jobs' part.

>> apple has has 100's of "outlets" in Italy since the 1980's, but this is
>> the first true Apple "Store".
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/it/retail/romaest/
>>
>> All the other places to get OSX in Italy is here:
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/it/buy/
>
> I am very happy for Apple, don't get me wrong. I think that /any/ saturation
> is the market would help everyone tremendously. But Apple is not an Open
> Source company. To make matters worse, Apple shares with almost nobody. With
> Gadgets, it took the food out of one developer's mouth and it's one example
> among many. Hardware is virtually a monopoly and the iPhone shows that Apple
> wants total control (no third-party applications) over its products. Sharing
> does not just mean sharing the revenues and diluting the income. Sharing
> means working /together/, making the products more appealing and thereby
> attracting more people to obtain a large userbase. Good products that evolve
> slowly and good products that reach few people just lose the battle at the
> end of the day. Linus and RMS, for example, could not challenge a
> well-established company like Apple without other people's help.

What is your favorite vehicle?  Do you get any say in their next model?
What is your favorite restaurant?  Do you get any say in their menu or
prices?
What is your favorite writing implement... do you get any say in its design?
What is your favorite CPU?  Again... do you get any say in the design?

On and on... a tool need not be open source to be very good... and there are
things about open source that actually can reduce the value, such as when
the vision and focus is watered down.  This does not mean Apple, or other
companies, should not listen to their customers... in each of my examples
above the companies *should* listen to their customers.

--
? It is OK to email yourself files and store them there for a few weeks
? No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)