Re: What Michael Dell Runs at Home

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flyer
<flyer@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:52:46 -0700
<MPG.2090b197c2f9e46d9896b0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> In article <2225159.2qVVIhKElG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 19 April 2007 01:47 \__
>>

>> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/biographies/en/msd_computers?c=us&l=en&s=corp
>> >
>> > Hint:  It's not Windows.
>>
>> He's looking into the future. This long-term investment (Microsoft rebuttals)
>> will pay off for him. Every XP guy looking at Vista mentions something about
>> Ubuntu or a Mac. They usually take a wait and watch approach, but what's on
>> Windows' horizon really? Hot fixes?
>
> Attempted lock-in via web services, but this will flop because they can't
> even get a stupid regular box to run right.
>
> If they attempt web services, the internet will melt down.

I wouldn't worry about it overly much.  They already tried that with
some variant of XP or 2k, and the Internet didn't melt down.
(It did make strange choking and/or laughing noises for awhile.
.NET is the second incarnation -- I'm not quite sure what the first was
but one might suggest .ASP/Visual Basic [*].)

> They should just shut down that ridiculous Redmond campus, sit back with
> a good beer, and watch Google become the next big thing.
>
> Win networking is like trying to pry open a 50 foot steel security door
> with a piece of warm string cheese.

Windows networking is an improvement over DOS networking -- though
that's not saying a whole lot. ;-)

[*] I am given to understand that .ASP can run multiple languages.
However, most installations use Visual Basic.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);